The Maryland Department of the Environment's Lead Rental Registry mission is to protect families and prevent childhood poisoning from the exposure of lead by ensuring Property Owners register affected properties in compliance with the Maryland State Lead Laws.
Who Needs to Register?
- Residential rental properties built before 1978 are required to be registered and then renewed annually with Maryland Department of the Environment.
- Residential rental properties built after 1977 and properties that have a passing Lead Free inspection certificate are exempt.
- On or after January 1, 2015, all properties built prior to 1978 must have a new lead inspection certificate at each change of occupancy.
How Do I Renew My Registration?
There are two ways to renew properties in the lead rental registry: This can be done either online or via a paper form.
- You may use the preprinted Renewal form MDE has mailed or will mail to you.
- Renewals are usually mailed to owners between July and the 3rd week in November each year.
- If you do not receive a renewal by December 1st and want to use the paper options you will need to contact the Lead Registry Section by email firstname.lastname@example.org in the subject type “Paper Renewal”, in the body type the 7 digit tracking number and the address to be mailed to, or call 410-537-4199 to request a form.
How Do I Register My Rental Property?
There are two ways to register properties in the lead rental registry: This can be done either online or via a paper form.
- You may only use the Downloadable Form if you:
- Have a Tracking Number and are registering for the first time or
- Have a Tracking Number and are adding another property under the exact same ownership.
- Your Tracking Number is to be filled out in the space provided on the form before mailing it in.
- Do not use the Downloadable Form if you:
- Are trying to renew registration for a property you already have registered under the current owner(s) or
- Want to update and/or pay for a property you already have registered under the current owners.
- You are to use the Lead Rental Property Registration and Renewal Online System or the preprinted Renewal form MDE has mailed or will mail to you.
How Much Does It Cost to Register?
The registration fees are currently $30 per unit.
When Do I Need to Register and Renew My Registration?
- A complete change in ownership requires a new registration and a new tracking number. This includes adding owners or changing to a corporation, etc.
- Registration is specific to ownership of a property(ies) and should match exactly what is on record with Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation. Any different combination of ownership for a participating property will require an adjustment to the Lead Rental Registration file.
- Renewal Forms And Fees Are Due By 12/31/2015.
- If you are registering online between October 1st and December 31st you may immediately Renew that property(ies) after completing the initial Registration for it.
- No matter how late in a calendar year you register a property(ies) it is required to renew that property(ies) for the following year on or before December 31st of that same calendar year.
How Often Do I Need to Renew My Registration?
Maryland (State) Lead Rental Property Renewal with fee is due by December 31st of each year.
How Do I Find My Tracking Number?
- The “Rental Property List And Renewal Worksheet For 2015” is imprinted with your “Tracking Number” (formerly called “Owner Number”) and on the back is imprinted with a list of “Property Numbers” and Addresses.
- To obtain a Tracking Number, find the Tracking Number you have already been assigned or to get a copy of your Renewal Form please call: 410-537-4199 or 1-800-776-2706.
How Do I Get a Copy of My Renewal Form?
To get a copy of your Renewal Form please call: 410-537-4199 or 1-800-776-2706.
Do I Need to Register With Anyone Else?
- Be Aware that some counties & Baltimore City also charge a registration fee for rental properties. This State registration/renewal fee is not collected through the county, town or city.
- Keep a copy of all completed forms for your records: Pursuant to new laws, information from your registration and inspection certificate will be needed in order to register a property with a local government, access rent court, or be eligible for Section 8 funding.
What If I Have Multiple Tracking Numbers?
Please contact a member of the Lead Rental Registry at 1-800-776-2706 (in state) or 410-537-4199 if you have questions regarding consolidating multiple tracking numbers. Each property owner should have only one tracking number.
What If I Have Registered Properties That Don’t Appear in the Renewal List?
Please call the Lead Rental Registry at 1-800-776-2706 (in state) or 410-537-4199, you may not be in compliance with Maryland laws.
- Rental property registry 2015 update
For more information please contact 410-537-4199 or 1-800-776-2706. You may experience very high call Volumes when calling. You may email your questions to email@example.com. To assist with faster processing of your questions please leave the following information if you have it, your name, MDE tracking number, call back number, and your question. You will either receive an answer or a call to further discuss your situation. This could take 2 to 4 business days to receive a reply. If you have a request that needs attention today please call 410-537-4199 and follow the instructions to wait for the next available representative.
Problems Contacting Us?
Thank you for contacting the Maryland Department of the Environment’s Lead Rental Registration Program ("Department"). The Department is currently experiencing a high volume of emails and calls. However, you may email the Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to have documented proof that contact was made. You may also leave your name and call back number in a voice message at 410-537-4199 or 800-776-2706 then press option 2 and someone will contact you as soon as possible.
If you choose to leave a voice message, or send an email all due dates will be extended until you are contacted by MDE staff. Please save your email for proof of contact.
- Full name of owner of the property to be registered. All owners’ full name if jointly owned. You will need separate MDE Tracking numbers for each ownership type.
- Telephone Number of all owners.
- Mailing address of all owners.
- Email address of the primary owner to be contacted.
|Acrobat® Reader is required to view and print the PDF files. If you do not have it click on the icon to the right.